Meet Backand’s New Serverless SDKPosted by Itay Herskovits on Feb 14, 2017
Backand is proud to announce our new Serverless SDK. With the launch of this SDK, we offer super-easy access to all core functionality of our powerful backend-as-a-service. We also have compartmentalized our SDK to allow for easy integration on multiple major serverless app development platforms.
In this post, we’ll walk through the new Serverless SDK structure. We’ll outline the core functionality, take a look at the new platform-specific SDKs, and then provide a few examples of how to easily work with Backand in your application.
Serverless SDK Functionality
The Backand Serverless SDK offers quick and easy access to core Backand app functionality:
- Authentication and Security – The SDK provides easy-to-use functions that wrap all of the functionality necessary to authenticate users with your application, whether via a custom user structure, or by leveraging social media providers for authentication.
- Object Manipulation – The Backand Serverless SDK offers intuitive and flexible methods that you can use to interact with objects in your Backand application. These are available in the SDK under the ‘object’ property – simply provide the name of the object you wish to work with, and you’re ready to go!
- Custom Actions and Queries – The SDK offers quick and easy ways to access the custom actions you have defined in your Back& application, again via the ‘object’ interface. We also offer a ‘query’ object, which allows you to easily leverage custom SQL queries built for your application’s specific database needs.
- Quick and Easy Real-time Functionality – Through our integration with Socket.io, you can easily add real-time communication features to your application. Simply make use of the “.on” event handler to subscribe to broadcast events, and you are ready to go!
New SDK Structure
The original SDK was fully built out for each platform on which it was offered. This led to a lot of duplication in functionality. Recognizing this, we’ve chosen a new approach that lets developers more easily work with the SDK on their chosen platform. Below is a quick list of the available SDKs that comprise our Serverless SDK, and how they work together:
- https://github.com/backand/angular1-sdk – This is our Angular 1 wrapper SDK. This wraps the Vanilla SDK, providing objects and services for Angular 1-based apps that make the SDK a snap to integrate.
- https://github.com/backand/angular2-sdk – This is our Angular 2 wrapper SDK. Similar to the Angular 1 SDK, it wraps the Vanilla SDK’s functionality with several useful Angular 2 objects, encapsulating all of the functionality into an easy-to-use service provider object.
- https://github.com/backand/redux-sdk – This is our Redux/ReactJS wrapper SDK. It offers tools to construct all of the Actions, Reducers, and Types necessary to work with the underlying Vanilla SDK, making it very easy to integrate Back& with your Redux application.
Improvements over the previous SDK
In addition to refactoring the code to more closely match how it is used by developers, we’ve made several changes that make working with Back& easier than ever:
- Promises – The new SDK returns objects as promises, allowing you to more easily handle the responses from your app’s backend in an asynchronous manner. Simply define your callbacks and provide them to the SDK using the ‘.then()’ and ‘.catch()’ functions.
- Easy Social Sign-On – The new SDK provides quick and easy integration with social media providers, handling all of the back-end complexity of user management and authentication so that you can focus on what makes your app unique.
- Token Management – Gone are the days of having to manually construct headers – the SDK handles authentication and authorization tokens on your behalf. Simply tell the SDK when someone has signed in or signed out, or even enable anonymous authentication – all with easy-to-use function calls.
Our goal at Backand is to help developers and organizations more easily achieve their application development goals. With the release of our Serverless SDK, we’ve made huge strides in usability and availability of our SDK. You can read more in our documentation, take a look at our Vanilla SDK for an overview of the API, or begin working with the examples on our Github page. With Back&’s new Serverless SDK, you’ll find that creating a cross-platform and cohesive Progressive Web App experience is easier than ever.
Don’t have a Backand account? You can get one for free